Subject: [Leica] Tall ships - sepia toned
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Mon Sep 12 01:26:08 2005

Douglas,

Tried to get something out of the picture that we discussed last night.
Working
from a copy of the picture posted in the Gallery , I really found the
different
light and the lack of resolution a bit too much to work against as it were.
The
light as has been noted is too different from FMS usage of light to make it
work. I particularly found the flatness that he gets in some pictures
impossible
to re-create. It is virtually impossible to get that luminosity that I
remarked
on last night. This is where I finally stopped...

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album83/Image1_101_edited_2_001

I can't remember if I sent it before so here is my previous "print" of your
picture of New Biggin.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album83/Newbiggintemp

that I think works. This exercise does teaches us a lot about how Sutcliffe
used
light and the photography of that time. They are just superlative
photographs of
a time long past.

Apologies for not getting further.

Peter