Subject: [Leica] Cable Car
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Sep 8 19:21:55 2005

Robert D. Baron showed:

> I've tried my own take, a slight variation on a fairly common shot, and
> I'm curious what others think:
>
> http://www.bobbaron.com/CableCar.html<<<

Hi Bob,
I can't say I've ever seen an "in motion action blurred cable car" picture
before! :-) Good on you for trying it and making it work with a feel of
action and still understand what it is. In fact if yer hanging around San
Francisco for a bit with nothing to do.... not likely ;-) I'd bang away more
on this at the same location with slower shutter speeds. Key is to pan at
exactly the same speed as the cable car passing .

Because it's an in motion type picture and you really never know what it's
going to look like until seeing the exposures later, it's worth working it
to death with various shutter speeds and panning with it as it rolls by. And
if available I'd use a motor drive as it usually works better as you pan.
Certainly better than trying a one shot pan picture.

Also an important factor is... "how fast the cable car swishes past." The
faster the better, but given you use a slower shutter speed it might make
for some very exciting images.

However, well done.

ted