Subject: [Leica] Seeing with framelines
From: pswango at att.net (pswango@att.net)
Date: Thu Sep 8 09:03:22 2005

Ken wrote:
> Question:  You shot with a 35, and my Summicron-M 35 just arrived
> today.
> I haven't shot with it, and my question is this:
> How close were you to the man with the phone?  I don't yet have an
> "eye"
> for gauging that kind of thing, and I'm eager to learn.

Ken, with a 35mm lens, the horizontal width of the field of view is about
the same as the distance from camera to subject.  So in Feli's picture,
assuming the man is 6 ft tall or so, the camera to subject distance would
have been around 10-12 feet.  However, I'm not going to argue with Feli,
since I wasn't there!

Also, with the 90mm lens, I've always found the framelines in the M6 to be
kind of cramped.   Try a 90 on an M3 and it's a whole different experience,
IMO.  Even the 135 works OK on the M3.