Subject: [Leica] OT: Katrina hits home...
From: kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier)
Date: Mon Sep 5 16:48:19 2005

My son-in-law, who's a lieutenant in local police department, has been
asked to go with a Connecticut contingent of police to New Orleans.  My
daughter tells me that this came from the governor to the mayors of
cities of a certain size, with the request being for officers with SWAT
experience.

My son-in-law is his department's Weapons Training officer, a member of
the SWAT unit, and decorated for whatever they call "combat"
duty...i.e., direct experience of gunfights, etc.

I'm not happy, my daughter is distraught, and the background information
provided to her and said son-in-law was not encouraging.

Apparently, the policing situation is difficult...National Guard and
military units are not trained for police duties, and 80+ N.O. officers
have resigned or quit, several suicided, some just missing.

I'm proud of my son-in-law and the way he conducts himself, and now I'm
worried, probably needlessly, but worried nonetheless.

Please hold him (Mark) and my daughter in your thoughts.

Ken

--
The Rev. Kenneth Frazier
Norfield Congregational Church