Subject: [Leica] I'm baaaaack
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat Sep 3 18:54:05 2005

on 9/3/05 6:41 PM, Jeffery Smith at jls@runbox.com wrote:

> My wife and I were deeply touched (maybe overwhelmed) by the level of
> concern
> you all expressed for us during this past week. I just bought a laptop at a
> Houston Best Buy store. Camera-wise, I planned to flee with an MP + 50 'lux
> but accidentally grabbed the M6 + 35/2 Zeiss (sorry).
>
> Thank you, all of you, for your prayers. I made out far better than most of
> the people in my city. The parts of the city that you remember most  are
> still
> okay. I wanted to be able to take pictures of the post-Katrina devastation,
> but matters degenerated very quickly to a state of martial law. The now
> notorious WalMart looting was about 6 blocks from Chris and me. That was
> the
> beginning of the end for us, and we fled later that day (Wednesday). I'm
> quite
> sure that the elderly lady who lives next door to me is dead by now. She
> was
> too frail to move about, and there was literally no decent place to take
> her.
> Nobody answered our 911 calls. She would not have lasted a day in the
> Convention Center. We had to leave our pets behind (two labs and two
> Siamese
> cats). That was very difficult, and it still haunts me.
>
> The Texans have been wonderful to us. Thank you, Houston!!
>
> I was glad to read that the others in my neck of the woods made it out
> okay.
> God Bless you all.
>
> Jeffery (from a Best Western motel somewhere in Houston).

Jeff, It's good to hear the you and Chris are OK, and it's disheartening to
hear of your elderly neighbor, your pets and of (what seems) the vast
majority of New Orleans.  I hope life gets back to normal for you soon,
though I suspect that's wishful thinking.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from jls at runbox.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] I'm baaaaack)