Subject: [Leica] Katrina
From: tim at KairosPhoto.com (Timothy Atherton)
Date: Thu Sep 1 08:01:18 2005

> "The cuts mean major hurricane  and flood protection projects will not be
> awarded to local engineering firms.  Also, a study to determine
> ways to protect
> the region from a Category 5  hurricane has been shelved for now."
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bhkrf
>

> Regards,
> Sonny

It does seem that for a country as developed as the US it's taking an
inordinate amount of time to move the required number of national guardsmen
to the area as well as for FEMA to organise medical teams etc (I hear on CNN
this am that medical teams area just now being assembled outside the
disaster area). Even aside from the massive loss of infrastructure, it seems
things just aren't in place to deal with such disasters.

It must seem like an eternity for those still stuck in the immediate area as
law and order breaks down and there is a lack of medical, food and water
resources etc.

tim a

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Katrina)