Subject: [Leica] Leica future and diehard fans
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu Aug 25 20:27:35 2005

Whenever a something has the cachet of "best," somebody wants to tear it
down.  Ditto when something is very expensive, or is a marker of social
standing.  It's human nature.  People love to knock statues off pedestals.

Factor in the snobbery (real or perceived) that devotees of said items
sometimes display, and you've got a natural target.  "Bentley, shmently. .
. my Chevy gets me there just as well, and we don't need no steenkin' Grey
Poupon, neither."   Witness the near-universal delight when Oprah was not
granted the customary VIP privilege of late entry to an Hermes
boutique.  No matter which side you were on, the other was ripe for riposte.

Announce that you own a  Leica or Hasselblad, a Rolex, a Mercedes or a BMW,
are a member of Mensa, raise orchids, or genuinely prefer classical music
to Country/Western, and there is a pseudo-populist on the next corner just
waiting to bring you down.   Which is probably why I black-tape my M bodies
and soft-pedal my Leica ownership. I don't want to deal with people who
think the the Leica in my hand means I think I'm better than they
are.  "No, I'm not rich, I bought it used, I just like the lenses and can
focus better with a rangefinder."

Such dynamics operate even within our little cult. We all have our sacred
cows and blind spots, and others will happily point them out.  When kept in
the spirit of good fun among friends, it can be enjoyable.  Too bad it
sometimes degenerates into vitriol.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Leica future and diehard fans)