Subject: [Leica] Leica future and diehard fans
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Aug 25 17:28:33 2005

On 8/25/05 2:43 PM, "Scott McLoughlin" <scott@adrenaline.com> typed:

> I don't take criticism too hard. Sometimes the recent "digital, get on
> the bandwagon or be left behind" chit chat really gets my goat (and I
> actually shoot a digital camera alongside my film gear).
>
> But often the harshest criticism can come from the most diehard
> (hence saddened or disappointed) fans.   How much criticism of Leica's
> pricing moves over the last years probably comes from folks who might
> well most desire to have Leica products but find them out of reach?  Or
> crit of Leica's level of digital (in)action might be a burning desire for a
> competitive digi-M or even just a desire to see the survival of the
> company?
>
> Maybe the only real "criticism" to worry about is complete indifference.
>
> Scott

There's a given given on a camera list that the participants have a moderate
amount of respect for the camera and actually occasionally use it. Or are
saving up for one. When one does not have then it just puts an off kilter
spin to the conversation.  You're just trying to defend your system on the
most basic of levels as if to an outsider. A hostile outsider even.
Conversation on more intelligent levels about the subject at hand (Leica)
becomes difficult to squeeze in.
Its a given that you have a group of people with a common interest. Here
that interest would be Leica. Photography, baloney. Leica. I think if you
are shooting with a Leica you are doing photography.  Stating the
obvious....
A troller attacking a list is not news it happens everyday on lists all over
the internet.
They come and go.
Ours stays.
What this list would be like without this ever gnawing irritating diversion
is anyone's guess. We'd be twice the size for one....

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/