Subject: [Leica] Universal viewfinder turret Russian Contax copy
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Aug 23 18:26:14 2005

At 06:58 PM 8/23/05 -0600, GREG LORENZO wrote:

>Did the Soviets just copy Zeiss designs or did they dismantle the Zeiss
Works after WWII and ship the facilities wholesale (and possibly key staff)
to Russian territory?

>Always wondered this?

Buy my book and learn the tale!  (Hove Press:  Barringer and Small, THE
ZEISS COMPENDIUM, available in the US from Petra Kellers at
http://www.camerabooks.com, and for a relative pittance given the amount of
information contained in its slim pages.}  I also have a bunch of
information in my NON-LEITZ LTM LENS book, also available from Petra.

Camera production lines were taken to the USSR.  In addition, much
machinery was taken to the USSR beyond this.  But the Soviets requried a
German participation for thirty years to ensure that production standards
were met and the like.  So, camera production lines were moved to the
Ukraine but the lens production stuff was a lot more hit-or-miss.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505