Subject: [Leica] Neopan 400 vs. delta 400 in Xtol
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Aug 13 18:18:07 2005

I went from Tri x to Delta 400 in December 1999 both in Xtol 1:3 which I was
then just starting to use.

With 11x14 darkroom fiber prints my Tri x looked in grain and sharpness like
what you'd think a 250 ISO film if they made one would in D76 1:1.
That's how I gage quality, from that norm.

When I tried out and then switched to Delta 400, a tab grain film the
results were as I suspected from what I'd seen from the tab grained Tmax 400
in Xtol 1:3.
The results were much better to the tune of twice or double.
A real Academy Award winner. (which tab grain films for Kodak I think was)
Tri x is much different now I hear. But the grain had not gone "tab".

11x14 darkroom fiber prints with Delta 400 in Xtol 1:3 looks to me like an
ISO 150 film in D76 1:1.
It looked in other words like what I've been used to seeing in medium speed
film quality.
Plus-x, fp4 and so on. Darned close.
Did not look like the 400's - (high speed) films.

After a year or so as the 2000's started of shooting the new Neopan Acros
(100) in the Studio and Neopan 1600 for street shooting or some location
commercial work I tried out the Neopan 400 in Xtol, a non tab grain film to
see how it would stand up and was surprised that it more than held it's own
against the Delta 400. It was close. Not a clear winner. Not a clear looser.
Looked richer maybe. Not less sharp like I'd thought. Close.
So I switched to the Neopan in 400 making myself an official full gamut
Neopan shooter. With green baseball hat and suspenders. And a free
subscription to Neopan Manga comic books.
That and three bucks buys me caf? mocha from Starbucks, another green label
company that makes a lot of money.

My times with Delta 400 in Xtol 1:3 at 70 degrees with agitation on the
minute in normal metal tanks were pretty much the same as my Neopan 400.
Around 16 - 17 minutes. Just a tad longer than my attention span.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/