Subject: [Leica] Converting DNG
From: jr at jrgeoffrion.com (JR Geoffrion)
Date: Wed Aug 10 14:30:21 2005

> The biggest drawback at the moment is that when I shoot RAW (DNG)
>  I am limited to using the Adobe Bridge/CS2 programs - Picasa does
> not recognize DNG - yet.  And Adobe is such a humongous program
> that is just takes too long for quick reviews and there is no easy way
> (at least that I have found) to batch convert the DNG's to jpgs so that
>  they work on Picasa and for uploading to Smugmug.  I am sure this
> will change with the next release of Picasa.
>
> Bill in Denver

Bill,

Here are a few alternative solutions for viewing / editing / batching your
DMR DNG files.

For previewing and batch converting, I recommend Adobe Bridge (which is part
of Photoshop CS2) to [relatively] quickly preview your images. It will also
allow you to batch convert the DNG by selecting them all and opening them in
Photoshop CS2. Then, simply select "select all" and "save as" JPG. The same
applies to making batch adjustments.

For cataloging and editing, I recommend iView Media Pro. It is extremely
fast at generating thumbnails (much, much faster than Bridge) and also
allows you to save the catalogs for easy referencing.

Lastly, you can use FlexColor by Imacon (now Hasselblad) to adjust and
convert your DMR DNG files. It requires a Ph.D. to get the hang of it. But
once you do, the result are exceptional.

I hope this helps a little.

JR Geoffrion
http://www.jrgeoffrion.com

Replies: Reply from bill at photobynelsch.com (Bill) ([Leica] Converting DNG)