Subject: [Leica] Just got my M6 back from Leica . . .
From: puff11 at comcast.net (Norm Aubin)
Date: Mon Aug 8 18:55:52 2005

 . . and they did their typical high quality work.

I sent my M6 in for a CLA, since it was past due, and the rangefinder patch
was once again vertically misaligned.  It was also showing a peculiar habit
of showing multiple pairs of frame-lines when I had either the 35 or the 50
on it, they would both show up . . . most distracting.

Leica had the camera in hands for a few weeks and sent it back, well
packaged and looking very clean and pretty!  A new battery and cover was
added in gratis as well.  All in all, and not to take away from the other
experts out there, Leica is to be commended for doing a good, fast job on
this camera.

Now to grab some Astia and take a walk!

Soon as I get some new shots I have really got to mail Brian and ask how I
can start posting on the lug gallery -

By the by, there was an earlier thread going on regarding the transition to
digital darkroom - keep the old or not.  I faced that dilemma about 4 years
ago.  I had just sold the house, was moving into an apartment for a year or
two until the next house, and coincidentally was taking classes at the
Photocenter in Seattle.  I got enough exposure (pardon) to digital output
that I was sold.  I pondered it for a few more weeks and did the potlatch
thing.

I called a few photographer friends who are still into wet work and gave all
the equipment away, the dichro-enlarger, the 7 foot stainless sink, all the
trays and equipment, every thing but a few things needed to develop B&W
rolls and sheets, if I get a real need to do so.  Everything went for free -
no strings attached except the promise that they had to use it or pass it
on.

I bought a computer, a flat bed scanner (Microtek i900 - I shoot mostly 4x5
- rocks and ferns), an Epson 1280 using MIS four color B&W inks, and never
looked back.  I will probably add a 35mm dedicated scanner shortly, and
another printer for color work as well.  I should also point out that I have
a few black and white labs around that will custom develop, so I don't have
to abandon my Ansel Adams zone system predilections yet.

I'm spending time working my way up to the proficiency I had in the wet
darkroom - that took 20+ years to acquire, so I expect a few steps are still
in front of me - but so what - this is about having fun creating images, and
learning new things is fun!

There is an immense freedom from having given away everything, and starting
over.
There are times when I could imagine having nothing but the M6 or M7 and a
fast 50mm lens . . . I can handle that.  As long as there is one brand or
type of B&W and one chrome film in the world, I can keep on trucking.

Embrace the freedom of starting fresh, and learning so much new and exciting
stuff.

Best of light,
Norm