Subject: [Leica] Re. We had company (combining 2 RAW developments)
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri Jul 29 00:40:45 2005

Nathan:  OK, just for fun, here it is in B&W, converted using Uncle B. D.'s
Famous Digital Tri-X Formula.  I lightened the face through the same mask I
used to combine the two RAW developments previously.

http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/E1/P7231089KarWaveBW.jpg

The color version, for reference:
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/E1/P7231089KarWave3Sm.jpg

I think I prefer the color version.  Katya *strongly* prefers the color
version.

B.D., if you're listening:  I also experimented with some added
noise.  Picture Window Pro has Uniform and Gaussian noise.  Gaussian
appeared to look better (more like real film grain).  4% was barely
noticeable on the screen, 8% looked like Tri-X on the screen. But printed
on Epson Matte at 5x7, even 8% was barely noticeable.  I'll have to fool
with this more at letter size, and experiment with sharpening before and
after the noise is added.

I noticed once again that a small amount of noise often makes things look
sharper. But without any noise you get that gorgeous smooth-as-a-baby's
bottom digital tonality along with the Tri-X-ish color response.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from dennis at hale-pohaku.com (Dennis Painter) ([Leica] Re. We had company (combining 2 RAW developments))
Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Re. We had company (combining 2 RAW developments))