Subject: [Leica] RD 1 QC issues
From: cummer at netvigator.com (cummer@netvigator.com)
Date: Wed Jul 27 09:58:11 2005

Dear Luggers,
To weigh in on the Richard / Nathan discussion, I am on my third RD 1. My
first one had rangefinder problems that simply defied the laws of optics,
the second one had clumps of dead pixels which, when extinquished by Epson,
left "holes" in the CCD pattern. After returning the second body Epson
offered me a full refund, but I wanted a digital rangefinder body to use
with my M lenses so I asked for body #3. They brought two new bodies from
the warehouse for me to check and I chose the one with a small vertical
rangefinder fault because I knew how easy it was to fix that. Having
adjusted the rangefinder (hot shoe cover off - hot shoe off - tall screw on
the right) I am quite happy with my RD 1 and have shot several thousand
pictures with a wide variety of Leica glass.My RD 1 will tide me over until
Leica or Zeiss or Konica / Minolta produces a better digital rangefinder
camera to take M lenses and I do enjoy the process of making (and
immediately seeing) digital photos with M lenses. I would conclude by saying
that the Epson people I dealt with were very courteous and understanding and
as puzzled as I was about the lack of quality control in the production of
the RD 1.
Cheers
Howard
(not in Hong Kong but travelling in Canada (with the RD 1)

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] RD 1 QC issues)