Subject: [Leica] OT: Nikon glass?
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Mon Jul 25 13:46:56 2005

>Having just acquired a Nikon-to-Canon EOS adapter from Slobodan, I may
>want some Nikon lenses  ;-)
>
>No, seriously, I know that there are several Nikon users among us. All I
>know about Nikon lenses is that the mount has not changed since before I
>was born or something like that. Are there any Nikon lenses out there
>that are really good, as in worth buying to use on my Canon 20D? I am
>only interested in primes.
>
>Since this is OT, feel free to reply privately.
>
>TIA,
>Nathan

No problem Nathan answering in the list as very often Nikon glasses have
been commented here.

Nikkor 15mm f3.5 is not the best extreme wide available though it would be a
practical 22.5mm in the 20D. Flare and ghosting but no big distortion
Nikkor 20mm f2.8 is a good wide with little distortion and good sharpness
-excepting corners- small lens that would be a good 30mm closing two stops
Nikkor 28mm f2 a very good and affordable wide not bad full open and very
good closing a couple of stops.
Nikkor 35mm f1.4 excellent *standard*  52mm lens as far as -always with non
Leica- close the diaphragm
Nikkor 50mm f1.2 the poor man speedy 75mm tele. Do not forget that Nikon
sharpness is good but not very often the bokeh is...
Nikkor 85mm f1.4 Very good under any point of view
Nikkor 135mm f2  Another very good lens
Nikkor 180mm f2.8 At the level of the best however it lacks the glow and
so...

Most of above may be found at bargain prices and are very good and wel made
lenses giving exleent results better not full open.

I can give my opinion of many more Nikkor lenses I own if you wish. I have
got too the adapter but I find some difficulties in focusing and prefer
using the Canon EF lenses. However I had in my hand the Leica Digital Back I
had no time for a test but I hope made a unbiased comparison soon. Meanwhile
Leica for film and Canon for digital.

Regards

Felix

PS This is truly off topic but my biggest surprise has come from Sigma!!!!!
His 18-50mm f2.8 arrived last week has proved to be an excellent lens!

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] OT: Nikon glass?)