Subject: [Leica] While were on hard drives...
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Wed Jul 20 21:13:53 2005

Xrays that are sufficiently powerful can damage the electronics that are
inside a hard drive. When it's in a computer the metal case of the computer
usually protects it. If you have an external HD, make sure it's in a metal
case and not a plastic case.

I've never actually seen this happen, but I worked at NASA long enough to
know all of the horror stories about how electronics fail when hit with this
or that sort of radiation.

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] While were on hard drives...)
Message from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] While were on hard drives...)