Subject: [Leica] DMR PAW #2
From: bill at photobynelsch.com (Bill)
Date: Tue Jul 19 21:57:33 2005

I wanted to see what would happen with the various saturations of color with
the DMR software and frankly, I'm not sure what I think.

The DMR has several modes of saving the images, DNG, TIFF, JPG Fine and JPG
Basic.   With the JPG settings you have the opportunity to select saturation
(low, standard, high, B&W), contrast (low, standard, high) and Color
management (standard RGB or Adobe RGB).  The first image of the Coors Light
sign was with the standard saturation, standard contrast.  The second of the
flowers (which really looks blown out given the compression done by Smugmug,
look at the original size) was with high contrast and high saturation.
Frankly, it is not very pleasing.  The third image is a JPG conversion in
PS2 of the original DNG file, using standard contrast and standard
saturation.  (The camera raw converter in PS2 defaults to the auto positions
and I switched those off when pulling it into PS2 so that nothing would
influence the image out of the camera.

http://photobynelsch.smugmug.com/gallery/670405/1/29079949

The original DNG file for those with high speed connections is here:

http://leica-users.org/~nelsch/L4030019.DNG  CAUTION IT IS 19 MEGS!

I think my workflow is probably going to be all DNG all the time.  Except
when I want to shoot B&W and I think I may agree with Nathan that I should
probably shoot DNG and then convert in PS2.

And so it goes.

Bill in Denver

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] DMR PAW #2)