Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Planar 50/2 vs. latest Summicron 50/2
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Jul 19 12:39:31 2005

> Pricewise (a factor for me), a used current and minty Summicron 50/2 with
> it's built in shade (eyes on a chrome one) should probably cost me a
> little less
> than a new Planar 50/2 with it's somewhat expensive bayonet shade.
>
> But cost aside....
>
> Thanks!
>
> Scott

I wonder how good a deal it would be the new Planar 50 made by Cosina for
Zeiss?.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&s
ku=361550&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
Here's the B&H entry I'ts 825 bucks and the picture has it looking slightly
Vivitarish.

I paid $650 for my 50 Summicron new from Adorama 12.2 years ago, my first
lens. From all I hear the tolerances over at Solms is in a different
ballpark from what the Cosina people do.
But then we consider Cosina people raising their standards to something even
the excruciating level of Zeiss. Which I imagine are not too far off from
the superb Solms or previously in wonderbar Wetzlar.

I love Zeiss and shoot with a professional level Hasselblad system.
The idea that I could get a similar "fingerprint" in my 35mm work almost got
me into Kyocera Contax. I was going to do that instead of Leica SLR.
But ended up just getting more involved with Nikon when the digital thing
hit.

Getting that Zeiss 50 would feel like an extravagant lens test experiment
which would be hard for me to financially justify.

I think the Zeiss digital body for their new set of glass is going to hit us
before an R2D2 ever does or the made by Leica digital M body.

I don't have a 28 for some odd reason.
Perhaps instead of getting the awesome newish Leica offering, the Summicron
APO ASPH Summicron 28 I could break up  my system and throw in a curve ball
by getting the Zeiss offering. And let Biogons be Biogons with the
Zeiss Telephoto 28mm f/2.8 Biogon T* ZM Manual Focus Lens - Black for
1,042.00. The Leica is $ 2,795.00 from B&H.
I'd save $1753 dollars and get the air conditioning in my car fixed.
If it wasn't for that darn lens hood!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon