Subject: [Leica] New camera
From: jblack at ambio.net (John Black)
Date: Mon Jul 18 08:38:57 2005

Somewhat OT but, hey, it's a rangefinder!!

I bought over the weekend, an Olympus 35 ED very small full-frame RF camera.
It has a 38/2.8 lens and seems to be completely electronic (no manual
controls).  I cleaned it up and crammed 4X PX625A batteries into the battery
compartment and it works! Or at least the lights light up and the shutter
trips. Now for the two questions:

1-  About when was this little beastie made and does anyone have any info on
it, and
2-  The battery compartment fits two rather large, thick button batteries
and the bottom plate is engraved "SEIKO-ESF B" next to the battery
compartment.  Is this a battery designation and if so, is there a current
substitute. The engraving sounds more like a shutter than a battery.

The RF seems to work fine, is properly aligned and bright but has a very
short base length of about 29-30mm (1.25 inches). Except for the fixed lens,
it reminds me of what Leica should have done in the 70's to capture some of
the average citizen market.  This thing really looks like the ancestor to
all modern point and shoots.

JB

Replies: Reply from ferider at yahoo.com (Der Eiserne Reiter) ([Leica] No poodles in our house :-))
Reply from ferider at yahoo.com (Der Eiserne Reiter) ([Leica] Fire Helicopters)