Subject: [Leica] PAW 29 - Balls
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Wed Jul 13 06:45:02 2005

Didier Ludwig wrote:

> Philippe
>
> I must have missed this one. Great. Sorry Peter, to be honest, I prefer
> Philippe's picture, as yours has too many distracting horizontal and
> vertical elements which are deranging the round character of the balls.
> Maybe a little more bokeh in the background would have done it?
>
> Thanks to both for posting.
>
> Regards
> Didier
>

>> Funny: I did a similar one last winter:
>> http://users.telenet.be/philippe.orlent/winter1.jpg
>>
>> > http://gallery.leica-users.org/album164/BallsLeManoir200506
>> > Peter Dzwig

Didier, Phillipe,

I think it's just personal taste really. :-) The horizontals - "crazy
paving"
and the lavender shoots are all very English summer as are the topiary box
"balls". The implicit joke being that it is in the garden of a very French
restaurant.

I had thought of making the depth of field shallower, but I wanted to keep
enough of the retreating line of balls to provide perspective while keeping
the
detail in the first one and the lavender immediately behind it. The "gentle"
bokeh gives a feeling of a corner of such an English garden.

I had seen your shot Phillipe, but unusually for me with your pictures I
didn't
like it that much. For me there was something not quite to my tate about the
depth of field and I didn't like the duotone effect - which I normally go a
lot
on. Still, just one of those things.

Offered in the spirit in which your comments were...I hope ! ;-)

Peter Dzwig

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] PAW 29 - Balls)
Message from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] PAW 29 - Balls)
Message from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] PAW 29 - Balls)