Subject: [Leica] PAW 28 - US Engineering at its best
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Wed Jul 6 13:16:47 2005

Seth Rosner wrote:

> Peter, if the cam covers had been squared and damascened, it could have
> been a type 35 or 57  Bugatti. Of which several examples are currently
> on exhibit at the Saratoga Automobile Museum
>
> P.S. ........the lens?
>
> Seth

The simple bit first...5cm Summarit (f8 1/200th, I think). "Printing"
adjustments in PS including a bit of sharpening.

Re Saratoga...I was at Goodwood with my good friend Frank Gardner who was
until
recently the former Director of Saratoga. Do you have a connection with the
SAM?
I think that Frank set up the exhibition.

We both made some similar comments about the Bugattis...there were actually
35
and 57s about 20 yards away. I am not an expert on either but I have some
vague
reminiscence of stories of plagiarism of Bugatti by Miller.

One thing you may not have noticed is the location of the s/c. That's because
you can't see it in the pic! It's actually in the cockpit with the driver.
albeit behind the instrument panel. An exploding supercharger would be
extremely
painful. I don't know why the chassis wasn't a foot or so longer and the
'charger inside the engine compartment with the firewall between it and
driver.
May be regs, may be Physics.

Peter

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] PAW 28 - US Engineering at its best)