Subject: [Leica] Snapshots from China Trip
From: clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss)
Date: Fri Jul 1 08:49:20 2005

Hi all,
I have completed a rough edit of the first 5 days of my last trip to China.

Some observations on equipment-
I took a D100 with the AF-S Zoom-Nikkor ED 12-24mm f/4G IF DX (try
saying that fast :-), a Canon G6, and a 35mm F/2 AF Nikkor. I used them
all extensively. I sorely missed having my 24-120 VR lens. Because it
was a group tour, I spent a lot of time grabbing shots from moving
platforms. The longer reach and VR would have been very useful. The
12-24 was not as useful as I expected. I was thinking "Japan" with
small, tight spaces. I found a country whose scale makes the USA feel
cramped.

As an exercise in self control (not to mention in space conservation) I
shot with the D100 in NEF compressed mode almost all the time. This
allows one to take four pictures rapidly, but then, once the buffer has
filled, there is a 35 second wait between shots. When I was expecting
fast changing action, I simply switched to uncompressed mode. I figured
that a picture every 35 seconds for 3 1/2 weeks would probably be
adequate :-)

The Epson P-2000 "Multimedia Storage Viewer" was extraordinarily useful.
Apart from functioning flawlessly as an image bank, it also entertained
me with a book (So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish, written a narrated
by Douglas Adams) on the long plane ride. Its viewer was good enough to
enable me to spot a dirty blob on the D100 LCD the same day it appeared.
I cleaned it immediately, saving a lot of retouching when I returned.

On the topic of the pictures -- I found it very hard to select a set
that represented both what I would display as "good photographs" and
that would function as a photo record of the trip. I compromised, and
probably missed both objectives.

Any way, here are the first pics:
http://Clive.smugmug.com/share/exvLMu292U6LE

As always, comments welcomed.

(LUGgers - I know it is off topic -- but I did at least think of taking
my M6)
--
Clive
Blog: http://www.clive.moss.net/blog/blog.html