Subject: [Leica] Cooper's Hawk
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Fri Jun 24 09:17:34 2005

I've been observing the nest of a Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) for the
last few weeks. It took some time, but the adults eventually accepted my
presence within 100' of the nest tree. Until that time anyone in the area
was considered an intruder to be driven away. Hawks of the genus Accipiter
are particularly known for attacking intruders so if you do venture near an
accipiter's nest it's best to wear a hat and to keep your head close to a
dense tangle of branches the hawks wouldn't dare fly through. Even after the
hawks accepted me I kept a hat on just to be sure I'd keep my scalp intact.

Mom's the sentry:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/coha12.html
while dad does the grocery shopping:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/coha11.html