Subject: [Leica] Re: Erwin's Latest
From: arthur.peterson at navy.mil (Peterson, Arthur G CIV SEA 02)
Date: Tue Jun 14 04:49:14 2005

B. D. Colen wrote (in part), "As to the comments about the Canon lenses -
It's not that photographers won't 'notice,' it's that real photographers
know it just doesn't matter - what matters is getting a meaningful image,
not the technical accomplishment."

And Mark Rabiner responded (in part), "BD feels threatened by people talking
on the Leica users group about how much they value their Leicas."

I value my Leicas, and I have no idea of what B.D. may or may not feel, but
I would like to re-frame what I take to be his point in a way that seems to
me indisputable.  Three quarters of a century ago, Cartier-Bresson was
taking better photographs with his technologically deprived (i.e., by
today's standards) Leicas than I'm taking today with the latest electronic
bodies and aspherical lenses.  And if using equipment as antiquated as his
would enable me to take photographs as good as his, I'd trade my modern
equipment for it in an instant.

Art Peterson

Replies: Reply from creativevisions at verizon.net (Michael J Herring) ([Leica] Re: Erwin's Latest)
Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Re: Erwin's Latest)