Subject: [Leica] Re: Erwin's Latest
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Mon Jun 13 06:59:22 2005

>All,
>
>http://www.imx.nl/photosite/comments/c012.html
>http://www.imx.nl/photosite/comments/c013.html
>
>The second is of particular interest.
>
>David W. Almy
>Annapolis

David

I use a considerable collection of  Leica and Canon lenses. Right now is
not so easy make a right comparison - at home not at the laboratory but
we shoot for our clients and our homes not for a laboratory- as the
prints scarcely are bigger than 50x60 cm where the differences in
sharpness are less obvious but some months/years ago the difference
could be more easily detected when projecting slides on the screen.
Certainly the Canon prime lenses have borders less sharpen full open but
with one or two stops the difference is not so easy to observe at least
by my own eyes. Another different matter is concerning zooms; by its own
construction a zoom is much more prone to vignette and to distort. Even
my Leica zooms do perhaps in a small lesser degree than Canon.

I can shoot Canon with a 14mm 2.8, 24mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 50mm 1, 85mm 1.2
and 200mm 1.8, but the bag will need a carrier! We live in a real world
and three zooms 16-35,24-70 and 70-200 2.8 will cover most of a
photographer necessities.  This can be done and probably with a slight
better quality, with film not yet with sensor, with a R8/9 and a15, 19,
21-35, 50 and a 70-80 but this package is not really so far of the Canon
equipment. Another  question apart to could be for most of us  the price
factor.This is the main reason I use Canon EOS 1Ds as DSLR and Leica M
as rangefinder with corresponding lenses. After some attempts using
Leica lenses with adapters in Canon bodies I abandoned the idea for my
problems in right focusing.

Erwin is, for sure, a honest man who loves Leica but he's not the right
man for a comparative with other brands as, however he would try to be
objective is not easy he would be.

Felix