Subject: [Leica] Does anyone here shoot with the 180/3.4 APO-Telyt?
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sun Jun 12 11:27:54 2005

on 6/12/05 9:50 AM, Vick Ko at vick.ko@sympatico.ca wrote:

> Does anyone here shoot with the 180/3.4 APO-Telyt for R?
>
> Can you tell me whether it is good, bad, indifferent?
>
> Perhaps can you compare it with the Nikon 180mm f2.8 ED or Elmarit 180
> f2.8 non-APO?
>
> I've read Puts' review; I'd like to hear some real life stories.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vick Ko

I used a 180 f/3.4 for a few years (on extended loan) and was delighted with
the the sharpness and color quality.  A couple of things that might bug some
people:

) bokeh can be less than good at times
) the minimum focus distance is long-ish
) early versions use Series 7.5 filters, if this bothers you look for a late
(E60) version.

sample photo:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/horses/pete00.html

It 'pops' into focus on the SL's viewscreen so quick accurate focus isn't a
problem.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com