Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 30, Issue 26
From: mark_wilkins at yahoo.com (Mark R. Wilkins)
Date: Sat Jun 11 18:02:52 2005

On Jun 11, 2005, at 5:15 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> Over exposure = death when it comes to quality black and white
> image making.
> And all "pulling" is is over exposing with a smug attitude.

Obviously your photography speaks for itself, so far be it from me to
argue that you should try anything differently from what you're
doing, but pulling can be more useful, done right, than you're making
out.

Increasing exposure just increases shadow detail.  Reducing
development time (within reasonable limits, which I'll get to in a
second) reduces the density of the highlights on the negative, which
prevents the hottest highlights from hitting the film's maximum
density -- this increases detail in the highlights as well.

Really, the reason that increasing exposure and reducing development
("pulling") can eventually cause image problems is that there's a
time scale to the diffusion of the chemistry through the developer
and the film's emulsion that depends on temperature only -- and
reducing development time means there's less time for chemistry to
diffuse effectively and thus there can be problems with uneven
development or difficulties with repeatability of the process from
roll to roll.

To some extent, lowering the temperature of development and keeping
the development time and degree of agitation the same can help
overcome this, but that only helps to a point.

"Overexposure" may be a huge problem, but overexposure means exposing
too much for the specifics of how the film is developed, not exposing
more than the rated ISO speed of the film (which is what "pulling"
and "pushing" use as a baseline.)

Ansel Adams' wrote about how to exploit "pushing" and "pulling"
pretty extensively in "The Negative," if you'd like a more detailed
explanation of how it works in practice.  However, I don't believe he
uses those terms -- he just talks about the techniques.

-- Mark

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 30, Issue 26)