Subject: [Leica] Should I keep my Digilux I?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Jun 9 20:24:31 2005

On 6/9/05 5:10 PM, "Richard" <richard-lists@imagecraft.com> typed:

> No offense, but...
>
> shouldn't you know the answer to this question? In other words, are you
> still enjoying shooting with the camera and is the output good enough for
> you? What does it matter what any other people may say?
>
> At 04:57 PM 6/9/2005, you wrote:

Richard perhaps you've not been on the internet very long with it's camera
lists where people buy and sell cameras and lenses and make opinions on that
gear based on internet hearsay.
While owning the gear!!! Hard to believe!
Making a decision based on ones own use of that gear is beyond the scope of
any imagination.
To say that this is not a results orientated mindset is an understatement.
It's not about the prints, its about the cameras.
There's no mention of prints.

Buying and selling "exquisite" or otherwise Du Jour tools that other people
use to practice the craft and art and profession and avocation of
photography but not do such yourself is I'm sure very rewarding. I have no
problem with it.
But I think it would be even more rewarding if one just called a spade a
spade and called it for what it is.
Its not about the capabilities and use of these tools.
Its about how they look on the shelf and how much fun they are to caress and
own. Which geeks think it is cool for your to own it that season.
Why not leave it at that it's fine as it is. Instead of debasing yourselves
and the gear and the fine people who make the gear with deceiving gibberish.

Here's to me an approach with integrity, validity and fun:
"Here's my new camera I got last month doesn't it look great! Kind of
retro!?!"
"But maybe it's getting boring and I've had it long enough I can trade it in
for something more to my cup of tea this month? Maybe something ultra
compact and modern!
Yea that's the ticket! Great fun!"

Nothing wrong with that!
I say what's the point of money if you cant play with it turning it into
solid form.

But here's where they go wrong.

"Here's this cool camera I got last month but Moose is saying on this
website there is way to much noise in the highlights! I think I need to
invest in this new highlight noise reductions technology instead that these
new Sony compacts now have!"

The inference of course is that having acquired the Sony he/she would then
USE it to do photography!
Instead of simply using it as a thread on a chat list.

I think you weaken your argument with fantasy.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/