Subject: [Leica] Re:Wal-mart only prints crap
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jun 8 04:56:54 2005

In a message dated 6/8/2005 12:43:31 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
nathan.wajsman@planet.nl writes:

Having  said this, don't forget that by offering a range of goods at
hitherto  unseen prices, Wal-Mart has made it possible for low-income
people to buy  things they could not otherwise have been able to afford.
So the social  impact is not 100% negative.

For what it is worth, the Super Walmart in  my town employs several  hundred
people, (many of them University Students.)  A few marginal  businesses went
down when the store came, but now the two mile corridor on the  way to that
store is flourishing with restaurants and small businesses in new
buildings.

No one can say that it has been a bad thing for our rural town, except that
it has increased traffic along that formerly rural road, which of course
attracts business.

Interesting too, that many of those businesses sell higher end versions of
products available in the Walmart.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com