Subject: [Leica] Re: Voigtländer 40/1.4 (was Leica prices)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Jun 7 18:06:31 2005

On 6/7/05 3:02 PM, "Mark Langer" <langeratcarleton@gmail.com> typed:

> It isn't a strong favorite, but I'm interested in it as a possiblity.
> I am very happy with the performance of the CV 28/3.5 and am curious
> as to whether anyone on this list has had a positive experience with
> the 40/1.4 as I consider my options for a 40mm lens for the CLE.  It
> is as simple as that.  I want to know what the image quality is like,
> how it balances on the CL or CLE body, etc.  Not having one locally to
> try out, this is the best I can do to see if this is worth getting, as
> opposed to sticking with my Canon 35/2 or getting the Leitz or Minolta
> 50/2.

With the shorter focusing base of the CLE a use of fast lens is less
obvious. What would seem functionally more appropriate is a compact slower
lens.
A Leica should be pocketable I think and many think.
An m6 really is not unless you're talking about sizable jacket pockets.
A screw mount is (or was). With a small or collapsible lens on them
The CLs and CLEs also were (or are).
I say try to keep them as compact as possible.
And I don't see the logic of the fact that there may by other cameras more
compact than a CLE to ignore this.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon