Subject: [Leica] Ye Olde Philosopher
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jun 7 17:59:52 2005

Hi Henning,

Hey, when a responder must resort to low level invective that means he's
trying to cover up something. Come on now, you're brighter than that. I said
to be
creative to me means learning something I didn't know before. We're not
creative all the time. Most of the time we react with pat solutions we've
learned
formally or informally. That's we we do sitting at a desk and pulling down a
salary for it. Or shooting ads. You have the technique cut and dried. But
that's
not photography as I envision it.

But when you're free to roam the world with an open mind and a good camera
--
be it film or digital -- you're hunting other game that you haven't seen
before. I'm not going to reshoot the Chrysler Building for the 10th time. By

Someone arranging hundreds of pennies meticulously on the sidewalk in the
form of a huge square.
I took that shot and wondered what the guy's motives were after the fact.
What was he saying about this culture as it affected him? These questions
didn't
occur to me before I made that shot. The scene called its attention to me
because of its quirkiness. That was unpredictable. At NY City Hall Park I
came
across huge bizarre, groteseque puppets enacting a strange tale. I didn't
know
what was going on, but I knew there was a photo there.

Best,
Bob R