Subject: [Leica] Mercedes 300sd
From: Thinkofcole at aol.com (Thinkofcole@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jun 7 07:50:50 2005

Robert, I have had two Mercedes diesels, the 1983 240D  ordered new from
Germany and a 1995 S350D, bought used in New York  and which I still drive.
My
mechanic told me before I bought my current  diesel that the "best" diesel
was
either the 300D, which will last forever, or  the 300SD, which will almost
last
forever.
  The Mercedes S models are long but the 300SD is even longer --and
heavier.
The 300 SDL is still longer and still heavier and has a bigger  engine but
is
hard to find in good condition.
  Mercedes for the last 10 years has been going down hill and their  cars
are
not built as well now as they were years ago and their ratings are no
longer
considered to be among the top 10 or so cars. The ''best made" cars now  are
probably the Lexus and the Toyota, with the Honda up there, too.

Even so, the old Mercedes is a very good car -- if it is and has been well
maintained. However, good Mercedes mechanics are difficult to find and
Mercedes
 replacement parts are expensive. Here is some advice; nothing new from me;
just  a check list of sorts:

So if you want to buy an old Mercedes Diesel -- like the 300 SD -- you have
to have it checked by a good Mercedes mechanic. Then you have to baby it
because  it requires a lot of regular maintenance. You have to check the car
for
rust,  the muffler assembly for rust, the upholstery [usually leather] for
cracks, the  radiator for leaks, the electrical system for reliability, the
radio
and the  cassette player if any, the air conditioner, the speedometer for
noise, the  paint job, and a million and one things you do for any used
--old --
car.
  Pay extra special attention to the electric windows to see that each  one
works. Check the bumbers. Make sure the locks work. Check the trunk for
leakage. Tires are expensive, too. And so is insurance.
 Also make sure you get the instruction manual. You will need it;  believe
me.

You might also ask your mechanic to check on whether the car has been
through flood waters or a major accident.

I have been through each and every one of these problems --and so has every
Mercedes owner of the same car for more than three years.

The advantages are [1] the 300 SD car is very roomy, very comfortable and,
of course, diesel is much less expensive than the best gasoline.

The disadvantages:   high maintenance cost.

I've driven a Mercedes for almost 50 years and if you have a good mechanic
it's a very good car...You'll complain about the bills but you'll never give
it
 up until it dies...

I hope this helps...regards, bob cole