Subject: [Leica] Good Writing is Harder Than Good Photography
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jun 6 21:06:29 2005

In a message dated 6/6/05 7:35:01 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

> Good Writing is Harder Than Good Photography
Dear Colleagues,

I probably do more writing than photography. After all, you can write
anywhere, anytime, and you don't need film or batteries or cards or even
much money.
Just pencil and paper. In some ways good photography is harder than writing
because you can't create an idea if it's not in front of your lens, no
matter
how conceptual you are.

This caveat doesn't apply to photo-graphics because you can create graphics
by assembling the elements re copy and paste, etc. Graphics is only limited
by
your imagination and technique.   But in straight photography, you can have
great ideas. However, if the subject that embodies them doesn't present
itself,
it can't be on the film or card. You can go to places where those ideas
might
exist, but you'll be doing illustration, not straight photography -- which
is
my bag. What I like about straight photography is that you don't need a
priori
ideas or concepts. Suddenly a subject or composition will arise for a few
seconds in front of your face -- that comes from out of the blue -- and you
must
be ready for it. You can't print excuses.

As for writing, it's a great way to think in the round because putting words
on paper or screen is an organizational activity. Unlike conversation, you
can
do research to find facts and present them coherently so that the story you
tell has a beginning, a middle and a conclusion. Writing is one of the best
way
to learn about your own values and history and figure out what's happening
around you. And play a little game of chess or basketball with The Great
World
-- where necessity and theology meet.

To sum up, I love both straight photography and writing. Both can make life
very rich and you don't need to sell your soul to practice them, together or
separately.

Best,
Bob