Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica DMR vs. Canon 20D comparison shots
From: reddawn at singnet.com.sg (David Teo)
Date: Sun Jun 5 10:43:30 2005

Hi

ok maybe "every bit as good" is a bit of a stretch. But if you read
into his conclusions at the end,

"As we have proved in our comparisons the step in resolution from 12 MP
to 16 MP; 16% isn't as big as you may expect (it's not for instance as
big as the step from 8 MP to 12 MP; 22%). Thus at a nice-lens-buying
difference of $3,000 the D2X offers much better value for money than
Canon's EOS-1Ds Mark II. Don't doubt Nikon's strategy of sticking to a
cropped sensor. The advantage of only using the 'sweet spot' area of
the lens is clear, full size 35 mm sensors may have long been the dream
of the digital photographer but they do place much bigger demands on
the lens."

plus his last line

"It's fair to say that with the D2X Nikon are well and truly 'back', a
killer combination of the superb D2 body, a high resolution CMOS sensor
and the added bonus of high speed shooting when you need it. What can I
say? The ratio of Pros to Cons really sums up my whole feeling for the
D2X, it's exactly what we expect Nikon to produce, a solid robust high
performance digital SLR with superb image quality, build quality and a
confidence inspiring sense of presence. You know, I may well buy one
myself!"

then one realises it is not that much of a stretch :)

I shoot Canon in addition to Leica, not Nikon. But i think it's good to
have competition to jolt Canon from time to time :)

David Teo

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] Re: Leica DMR vs. Canon 20D comparison shots)