Subject: [Leica] Transmissions
From: brad at bradbrad.com (brad daly)
Date: Sun Jun 5 10:55:36 2005

i have always been able to drive a straight-shift vehicle, having
learned in my father's 1969 2-ton chevy dump truck.  it had a three-
speed transmission with un-synchronized reverse.  it was relatively
easy to drive in that you could release the clutch slowly at idle on
level ground and the truck would start to move slowly--if it were
empty, that is; first gear was LOW.

transitioning to a small straight-shift fiat punto in england after
that was weird.  it took a little getting used to because everything
was so tiny.

now i'm in a straight-shift volvo V70.  and enjoy it quite well.  i
can see where constant clutching would get really old if i drove in
heavy traffic a lot, or where i'd want an automatic if i had small
kids in the car and were occasionally having to tend to their needs
while driving.  i enjoy driving a stick at this point in my life, but
it can easily see how an automatic is easier.  there's nothing wrong
with easier.  power steering is easier; power windows are easier; yet
no one criticizes others for having those features on their cars in
any sort of my-dick-is-bigger-than-your-dick sort of way.

--
brad daly
brad@bradbrad.com

What Would Bill Hicks Say?

"Nobody can face the world with his eyes open all the time."
     --Salman Rushdie