Subject: [Leica] Leica DMR vs. Canon 20D comparison shots
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sat Jun 4 05:16:35 2005

I've run the comparison TIFFs of DMR and 20D through "Find Edges" and
"Invert" for the iris shot.
I think  that this comparison shows the edge effects and general
contrast and sharpness better than the predominant yellow of the
original.The edges show clearly the differences in sharpness and
fringing effects. IMO the Canon edges are a lot purer than the DMR
which seems to show a rainbow effect around the edges, possibly a
microlens effect coming from the sensor.

Please note : these are quite large files it may take a while loading them.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/D20_1_Iris_f16_Edge_detect_invert

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/DMR_1_Iris_f16_Edge_detect_invert

It's a pity they can't be absolutely identical in size and exactly
aligned, it would be reasonably easy to subtract one image from the
other to show the remaining differences.

Changing the original images from RGB to HSL (Hue Saturation Luminance)
shows marked differences too, although I don't have the knowledge to
evaluate the results.

cheers
Douglas

Replies: Reply from simonpj at mac.com (Simon PJ) ([Leica] Peter W: DMR shots of people at higher ISO?)