Subject: [Leica] Computer costs included
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Wed Jun 1 15:13:06 2005

Eric <ericm@pobox.com> wrote:

> Doug:
>
>> When we write grants at the clinic, we have to include costs that are
>> not directly related to the services we provide. This means that we
>> have to include secretarial and bookkeeping expenses among others. I
>> think by analogy one needs to do the same with a computer used for
>> many things including photography. It is part of the cost of the
>> photography one does.
>
> By that logic, I should also pro-rate my mortgage, my gas and electric
> bills, etc. based on the amount of time I spend in my house doing
> photo-related tasks.  I'll also have to pro-rate my refrigerator since I
> store film in there.  :)

Eric, if you want an accurate accounting of your costs that's pretty much
what you'd do except the proration would be based on the square footage
allocated to photography.  I grant you this is nit-picking for most of us
but consider the other things you'd do with the space if not for
photography.  If you wouldn't do anything else with the space, you bought
too much house and refrigerator.  Think of it as an opportunity cost.  For
example, if I didn't have film stored in the freezer I'd be able to buy more
frozen foods when they're on sale.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com