Subject: [Leica] Odd day out (OT)
From: geebee at geebeephoto.com (GeeBee)
Date: Wed Jun 1 13:19:38 2005

I'm driving on a back lane when around a bend in the distance I can see this
chap over the hedge heading my way. My first thought was that he was a
little high for a cyclist so I reasoned that he must be on horseback.
Nothing unusual in that except that his movement is not consistent with a
horse rider. As we close on each other the bend between us disappears and I
get a good look at him as we pass. Was a time I would have just kept on
going but ever mindful of the fact that I need 'fuel' for the web site I
turn the car around at the first opportunity and go back, eventually pass
him (he was going surprisingly fast), put some distance between us, park and
then wait for him to approach. I take a shot.
http://www.geebeephoto.com/Walks/Odd_day/odd_day_01.htm

I resumed my journey and went back to soaking up the rustic splendour that
is Northamptonshire in the month of May. Scenes more in keeping with what
one expects to find in the English countryside. Rolling green hills,
hedgerows in blossom giving off fine fragrances and giving added peace to
the scene our farm animals grazing and lazing in the fields. A herd of
cattle, a flock of sheep with this years lambs, already almost as big as
their mothers, horses in a paddock, ALPACAS! I suppose they could be llamas
but I'm guessing these are being bred for their fur not for their spit.
http://www.geebeephoto.com/Walks/Odd_day/odd_day_02.htm

Sometimes the 'typical' English countryside can turn into Alice in
Wonderland before your very eyes. I'm thinking what else does
Northamptonshire have to offer by way of bizarre photo opportunities. A bird
as big as a Buick perhaps?.....
.........Yeah right.
I move over to the left, the bird follows me. I move over to the right and
again the bird tracks my movements. The wings are fanned and the head pivots
from the base of neck in a large circle. I am uncertain as to whether the
display is to warn me off or because the ostrich fancies me.
http://www.geebeephoto.com/Walks/Odd_day/odd_day_03.htm

Whatever it is the display gets ever more frantic and noting the look on the
birds face I decide to leave before the display reaches a climax (no pun
intended). I have no wish to be attacked or, perish the thought, worse. If I
am surprised to see an ostrich in Northamptonshire imagine the local fox
when he sees the worlds' biggest egg. The sheer joy of it. Just before a
foot, the size of a catchers' mitt, powered by the worlds' biggest drumstick
hits him in the side of the head. Strange place the English countryside.
http://www.geebeephoto.com/Walks/Odd_day/odd_day_04.htm

The whole thing and others here:
http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/words_and_pictures.html

Graham