Subject: [Leica] first camera
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Wed Jun 1 12:23:54 2005

My first camera was a Rolleiflex Automat 1950, handed down from my dad.  He
showed me how to load the film, set the lens, and use the big flashgun with
the 5B blubs (the thing bayoneted on the viewing lens.)

For my maiden photo session, my dad and I took the camera and flash to the
Central Park zoo.  We went into the Elephant house for a suitable subject.
After carefully transferring the distance to the flash calculator, setting
the lens, inserting the bulb, and positioning myself near the cage bars, I
snapped a picture.  The flashbulb exploded.  The poor elephant reared up on
its hind legs, roared, and sneezed all over me.

It was then that I discovered my abiding interest in natural light
photography.

Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA