Subject: [Leica] Re:mary ellen mark and making a living
From: Summicron1 at aol.com (Summicron1@aol.com)
Date: Tue May 31 22:59:00 2005

mary ellen Mark spoke at Weber State University, here in Ogden, two years
ago
and answered this very question.

she said she got into the business when it was possible to make a living
doing documentary photography like she did, but you could not do it today.
There
are no outlets for that sort of thing, and the demand now is too taken up
with
personality and famous people photography, nobody cares about documenting
the
struggles of ordinary people. You can shoot that sort of thing, but who
wants
to publish it?   OK, some art magazine, maybe, but someone who pays real
money?

By the way -- she said she still shoots everything on Tri-X film, always
has,
always will, has no interest in digital, film is what she knows. Said she
will stick to TriX because she knows it and is comfortable with it and can
make
it give her the results she wants.

Rollei? She used Leicas all her life, although lately switched to
Hasselblads
-- the India circuses were shot with one -- and, most recently, the giant
polaroid camera for her twins project.

Brilliant lady, it was a treat hearing her.

charles trentelman
ogden, utah