Subject: [Leica] Summilux M 1,4/35 PRE ASPH deception
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Sun May 29 10:53:50 2005

Luis Ripoll wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Some nonths ago I?ve purchased a Summilux M 1,4/35mm in excellent condition
> S.N. 3253xxx. When I compare with my Summicron 2/35mm, SN 3639xxx, or with
> my Summilux 1,4/50mm SN 1897xxx I appreciate:
>
> Compared with Summicron 35 it is less sharp and contrasted. Up to stop 5,6
> are the same
>
> Compared with Lux 50, I find too is less contrasted and sharp, and the
> bokeh
> is not the same.
>
> My personal conclusion is that the extra stop don?t pay the lens because to
> have image quality you should work with F2 or even better at 2,8. In my
> opinion Cron is better at F2, if you want use 1,4 it should be at extremely
> cases only.
>
> Are you agree?

Hi,
I have the same lens and partly agree with you. Wide open it is hardly
usuable. But stopped down it gets better. 2.0 is usuable for me and from
2.8 I have no complaints whatsoever.
If you really need the speed you should go for the asph version. If you
don't need the speed you better stay with a summicron.

Best regards,

Michiel Fokkema

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] Summilux M 1,4/35 PRE ASPH deception)