Subject: [Leica] Re: Rommel and Germany and Speer
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Fri May 27 12:04:14 2005

They are still hot on documenting everything, it's unbelievable what's still
in
the regional and national archives. My wife and I were recently researching
the
past of her father, a banker, who was apparently involved in some kind of
scandal involving Hjalmar Schacht (finance minister), some familiar
indutrial
barons and Hitler himself, and nearly got himself shot. It is fascinating
and
frightening to see what is still stored and accessible - not on microfile,
original documents! Even today the authorities have detailed documentation
on each and every citizen from the cradle to the grave,even more on
"foreigners"
like me.

A recent two part documentary on TV, here in Germany, tried to throw some
light
on the ambiguous relationship between Speer and Hitler, all it really
managed to
show was that Speer was a better architect of structures consisting  of
lies,
and should have been hung a lot higher than the other Nazi brass.
His Germania, as Berlin was to be known, looked like a mixture between Fritz
Lang's Metropolis and the wet dreams of a greco-roman archaeologist. Hitler's
personal correction to the plans was replacing the Swastika in the claws of
the
Eagle, atop the 300 meter high dome,with a globe denoting Germany's grip on
the
world. Hitler spoke of organising "delegations" from conquered countries to
vist
the centre of Germania to renew their fears of German might.
There are still traces of Speer's plans in Berlin, the column with "Winged
Victory" (Gold Else) used to be in front of the Reichstag and was moved to
its
present position, at the end of one axis of the city, just before the war.
There
is still a ferro-concrete tower weighing tens of thousands of tons which was
erected to test the resistance of the subsoil to the planned massive
buildings.Below ground there are also parts of the underground road system
planned to keep traffic out of the centre of Germania.I recently met the
authors
(the Arnold brothers) of several books about "Berlins Underworld" and a
historian (M. F?drowitz, bunker expert) and had the opportunity to gain
access
to some of these "monuments", the scale is both scary and fascinating.
Strangely enough the EXPO 2000 world fair held in Hannover (the advertising
was
so bad that even the Dutch didn't hear about it) was designed, in part,by
Albert
Speer - the son of the F?hrer's Albert.
cheers
Douglas