Subject: [Leica] Coming around...
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (Bob Palmieri)
Date: Mon May 23 08:33:04 2005

Folks -

The following is an update of a post I threw up on the Leica Reflex
users' group a few days ago:

A coupla quick notes on current affairs...

A lab did a terrible job on a roll of E-6 of mine a few weeks ago and I
decided it was time to face the music.  So I bought a 20D; it arrived
Thursday.

The infamous Photodiox adapter, after a tightening of the lobe
retainers, loosened up under the strain of weighty lenses; IT ACTUALLY
LET THE LENS FALL OFF THE CAMERA 3 TIMES - caught it every time,
fortunately.  Went home and crammed little shims made from those little
white collar stiffeners (.019", just about perfect) into the kerf cuts;
problem solved.

Did the focus tests for screen position tolerance, it looks very good.

For me, the only film I'll be shooting for quite some time will be the
B&W I shoot with my M's and process in my bathroom.  The SL's will come
out for "high art" loaded with Kodachrome for as long as Dwayne's Photo
in Kansas will continue to process it.
For everyday personal use and pro gigs, it's gonna be the Canon.

My take on this stufff, after having  the extensive experience of 1
weekend's shooting, is that digital is really good for Getting it Done.

Film is better for Getting it Great.

Thanks to so many who've passed on their well-earned perspectives on
these issues over the past year or so.

Samples at

http://gallery.leica-users.org/digiweekend

All the stuff up there was recorded as jpegs, the raw deal will be
next...

Comments, observations, enlightenments always welcome.

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Coming around...)