Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 29, Issue 486
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Fri May 20 06:33:04 2005

>My car does not have cruise control, my foot is it...
>
>Perhaps I should have qualified my statements a bit. I do not speed in
>towns. I do not accelerate pointlessly when the right changes to green
>only to slam on the brakes at the next intersection. But when I drive
>somewhere far away, I will drive as fast as is reasonable in order to
>get there. "Reasonable" depends on road conditions, the volume of
>traffic, the speed limit, and whether or not there are speed cameras
>around.
>
>So, for example, if I am driving to Denmark on a Sunday, I will drive
>around 140 km/h in the Netherlands, slowing down near cities since that
>is where the speed cameras are; once in Germany (most of the drive), I
>open it up, as do other drivers, since there is no general speed limit
>on the Autobahn. And if the weather is good and the traffic light, then
>there is nothing wrong in going 160 or 180, whatever you are comfortable
>with, given your driving skills and the state of your car. Even at those
>speeds I am frequently passed by others. Then, once I cross into
>Denmark, I slow down to around 140-150 again, since the speed limit is
>110 or 130 and the motorways tend to be a bit more curvy than in Germany.
>
>I do not believe any of the above is unsafe in any way, and is certainly
>not related to intelligence. Both intelligent and stupid people can
>drive fast or slowly, and I have seen all permutations of that.
>
>Nathan

I agree with every word. I  have driven last 46 years thanks God with no
incident nor accident. Up to few years the speed limit was legally
established in Spain -120km/h- but not really respected as drivers were
at much higher speed then the limits. When I drove in the highways the
speed was the necessary for a safe trip in the shortest time. Bilbao
Barcelona (600 Km) in work trips were made in something more than 4
hours so I was in time for lunch. My car has a factory limited speed of
250km/h and this highway very well  asphalted is a loooong  straight
line. I've made other work trips of 1400 kms in a journey not easy at
legal speed limits.

Right now the huge increase of vehicles, the arrival of many people
-mostly young people- with scarce driving experience and  the growth of
road merchandise transport has forced drivers to be much more sage.
There are many more road agents even many of them hidden. So my speed is
now absolutely legal. Theoretically 120 km/h but bearing in mind that
police radars start working at 130km/h and the car speedometer error, my
cruise control is nailed at 140km/h and the travel scheduled time  is
25% more than before as my age is bigger too.

Today generation drivers go slower than my generation but, sincerely, I
think that concerning *any* other rules they are worst... as phoning
from the car, going pasted to my bottom with a big danger, no halting in
the road stops and so on... I've respected during my life  *every* other
rule excepting the speed limit and my car has a phone that can work just
pushing a button on the steering wheel and everybody in the car may
speak besides me. I'd like every car had this feature for safety reason.
I don't know if I'm intelligent or stupid -better not to ask- but I have
some millions  kilometers without any problem.

Regards

Felix