Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Firmware
From: dnygr at cshore.com (dnygr)
Date: Sat May 14 15:02:56 2005

It's all fine and good to meet deadlines, but it also has a cost when the
product sucks, just as not meeting deadlines does, and customers go
elsewhere.

In repsect to Leica, they've been beaten to market for a long time. When you
think of digital, you don't think of Leica. You do think quality. That is
what they market. They would be foolist to tarnish that image with
run-of-mill software procedures.

I think their greatest risk is come out with a product that flops. Leica
means quality. If their digital R is preceived as half-baked, they will
suffer big time.

We all know of SW companies whose products suck. They don't even produce
software that is compatible with their other software.

It's not great to miss deadlines, it's worse when you produce a product with
the reputation of a Rolls Royce and your new car functions like an
Edsel--that ill-fated Ford car that was dead on arrival.

Let's hope that the digital R is a Rolls Royce. And let's hope that the
second edition of it is not just focused on fixing bugs, but upgrading the
quality of an already fine product. I hope that's the case.

Doug Nygren

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Re: Leica Firmware)