Subject: Firmware was Re: [Leica] Still no DMR
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat May 14 05:49:02 2005

I was one of those non-SW types that was in management.  The engineers that
worked in my company would hem and haw over releases, dates, quality, etc.
All good things to worry about.  It was my job to set release dates, and
organize the engineers to think about marketing issues rather than
perfection of code.  In the end, we established dates for release in
advance.  They did not change for initial release.  Sometimes features were
removed to meet dates, but the date was inviolate.  A second date was the
first update to the initial release ( V1.1).  The date for this was 30 days
after the initial release.  It also was inviolate.  Sounds rough?  Not
really.  Initial release meets market needs dates.  You have competitors,
If you do not release to schedule, you lose what is essentially the entire
market for that customer.  V1.1 allows some time to make the always
necessary bug fixes, and so that the customer base understood that you were
committed to fixing and adding features that they had need for.  It actually
worked pretty well.  ( I should add that this was for PC code, and
especially for Video drivers in a PC.  Not exactly bank account accounting
SW.  It was mission critical, but not life or business threatening.)

The idea of counting the number of releases sounds gameable to me.....  If
you want to improve, you just release less number of releases, more farther
spread out in time.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from dennis at hale-pohaku.com (Dennis Painter) (Firmware was Re: [Leica] Still no DMR)