Subject: [Leica] Further adventures of a lens abuser
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu May 12 14:10:57 2005

>Hard to compare as Kodachrome 25 is gone but I
>have not used a chrome that I liked
>as well as K-25, sharpness and color. Henning may weigh in on this one.
>Dennis
>
>Daniel Ridings wrote:
>
>>  They have been losing out. In part because the modern ASA 100 films are
>>  finer grained and sharper. They weren't really super fine grain. Just
>>  finer than the other films of that day.
>>
>  > Daniel

Well, there was Kodachrome (the original), KII,
K25, KX, K64 and K200 plus the 3400? variations.
I think that's it for the mainstream emulsions.
The original, at ASA 10, was the best thing there
was. At the time. There was nothing else that
lasted longer than 2 hours out in the open after
processing, it was sharp and the colours were
quite good.

KII was better 'cuz faster. K25 was better 'cuz
not as contrasty and better colours. KX at 64 was
harsh but fast, K64 was better than KX, but
otherwise more like K original, ie, too harsh. In
most shots if they are exposed correctly for the
highlights a lot of the darker areas are pure
black, and Kodachrome has incredible Dmax. K200
quite nice but grainy. K25 is definitely the best
of the bunch, but awfully slow in today's terms.
Still, the acutance of all Kodachromes made
Ilfochrome prints sing. A print from current E-6
films may show less grain, but stand back just a
little bit and the K25 prints look a lot crisper;
closer to MF. Like Doug says, it also has a
wonderful colour palette that may have been the
height of saturation when it came out, but now
looks very natural.

ASA 10 was useable, but imposed a lot of
limitations. I had a 35/3.5, a 50/2 and /3.5, a
90/4, 135/4.5 and the aforementioned 200/4.5 at
the end of it. Only the 50/2 gave much
versatility; the others gave you few exposure
options handheld.

At times I've played around with various copy
films and developers to make them into continuous
tone, IR films with dense filters and others
which were even slower than Kodachrome I, but the
slowest one, I think, was Kodalith. I bought a
couple of hundred feet, spooled some into Leica
cassettes and took some shots at about ASA 0.2,
if I recall correctly. Not to be tried handheld.
And this is important: don't use it with a red
filter, or your exposure wouldn't be finished if
you started in 1970.

Now my preferred fine-grain B&W film is Delta 100
shot at EI 160-200, developed in Xtol 1:3, or for
colour Ektachrome 100G and I certainly don't
regret the passing, long ago, of Kodachrome I.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Message from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Further adventures of a lens abuser)