Subject: [Leica] Further adventures of a lens abuser
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed May 11 19:25:26 2005

On 5/11/05 7:10 PM, "John Collier" <jbcollier@shaw.ca> typed:

> Nothing dramatic :-)
>
> Off on a little holiday and, thanks to Rich at Photovillage, I have
> another 50 to tide me over until my Asph comes back: a used 50/2.8.
> Very compact lens indeed and very slow as well. I took a quick snap of
> my son wide open and the shutter speed was distressingly long. Hardly
> surprising I guess but how the old ones (Ted et al) did it with ISO
> -200 film I will never know.
>
> Cheers for a bit,
>
> John Collier

Yes from a Noctilux 2.8 is six click stops down!
2.8 is almost in the center of the f stop range on the Noct!. Just a tad to
the left!

And it's not as if it's darker and harder to focus and see when we look
though our camera. We have to keep reminding ourselves of this.
focusing with a 2.8 lens with no stop down is exactly as accurate as
focusing with an f1 and stopping down!

Don't forget Neopan 1600 in a good developer and color neg. 1600 and 800 ISO
flims!

A 2.8 collapsible 50 might be my next lens.

I might get an old one. For added flavor.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/