Subject: [Leica] Nikon D2X review
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue May 10 04:12:56 2005

On 5/10/05 12:48 AM, "Scott McLoughlin" <scott@adrenaline.com> typed:

> Mark,
>
> I came to know him from his "subjective lens reviews." Quite a
> corpus of different Nikkors produced over the decades. He tends to
> test multiple samples, and on different bodies, offering ratings for
> different combos sometimes and small bit of verbage on each lens.
>
> Scott
>
> Mark Rabiner wrote:

Another of these main Nikon Guru guys gets 10 samples and finds one good
one. He does this all the time.
As if if this were true getting that lens was viable to just about anybody
in the first place.
I think they're just showing off.
Playing up how they're in such a "powerful" position that they get to have
those options. All those choices.
I don't buy all the bad Nikon samples.
Certainly not at those percentages.

I don't know one person who somehow swings getting a slew of samples to pick
from.

Sure this is a Leica thing that we much less often get a clinger.
But its not as if Nikon Canon Olympus etc. inspectors are just waving them
all by as they smoke cigarettes and play poker.
I have a huge respect for all these companies.

But I love how one of these Nikon Guru guys is always talking about the
ghosts in his lenses and how he just cant bother with lens shades.
It's amazing that some of his favorite lenses DON'T have ghosts.
But it's like he knows their names.
"Casper" the friendly optical aberration.
And this is one of those big brilliant big time guru guys who I have to
admit sounds real impressive on a bunch of other stuff.

I always wonder how well my spider sense is on discerning the chaff from the
opposite of chaff.

On the stuff I know about I hear off based stuff but then I hope on the
stuff I don't know about they'll have pity and know what they are talking
about and not lead me astray.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon