Subject: [Leica] PAW 2005-03: Birding along the Kamogawa River (akaDoug Herr, help!)
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Thu May 5 05:58:31 2005

>  > http://www.photoethnography.com/gallery/paw2005/index03.html
>>

>This bird is an Egret of some kind (in the Heron family, Ardeidae).   I'm
>most familiar with North American species so I can't get the ID beyond
>family.  Looks like the closest North American species is the Great Egret.

Doug -=

Wow, you're great!  I typed egret into my English-Japanese
dictionary, got "shirasagi" then popped the results of that into
google images:

http://images.google.com/images?q=??
http://wagner.zo.ntu.edu.tw/guandu/bird/species/???.htm

Taiwanese birders seem to really like it. I'm getting most of the
google hits from Taiwan, not Japan.

In any case, it looks like we have a winner, it's a great white egret
or shirasagi in Japanese. Thank you!

Ciconiiformes  Aredeidae Egretta alba

Karen

--